Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Sunday is a special day

When i was growing up, i never really understood why people felt the need to dress up when they went to church.* I heard a lot of people explain it, though, by saying that the sabbath is a special day, and so we need to dress differently on Sundays than we do on other days.

You know, that actually makes a lot of sense to me.** However, what doesn’t make sense to me is why that means all the lawyers and bankers and such out there end up wearing the same clothes to church on Sunday as they wear to work most of the other days of the week—doesn’t that mean that, for them, Sunday is not a special day?

* Okay, full disclosure: To some extent, i still don’t.

** I’m completely serious about that. And that’s why i’m left with the question i close the post with.

1 comment:

Heather the Mama Duk said...

I don't wear special clothes to church. I wear a skirt, but I sometimes wear skirts at other times, too. I think, actually, that the wondering over why people say that might have come from the fact that our mother wore skirts most days while we were growing up, including Sundays.

As a mother, I do make sure my little boys do not wear the outfit they wear to church any other time but about 4 hours on Sundays. If I did let them, they would be totally stained by the following Sunday.