Saturday, April 10, 2010

The world and its motes

I’ve mentioned this before, but it’s bothering me anew and from a slightly different direction, so: What’s up with the whole the church (meaning quite specifically the Mormon church) vs. the world dichotomy? And, in particular, why is it that the world is always presented as being irredeemably evil, or at least teetering at the edge of irredeemable evilness?

For my part, i see lots of good in all sorts of bits of the non-Mormon world. In fact, there’s some rather non-good elements in the Mormon part of the world, i’d argue. So what’s actually going on here? Is this (as it always appears to me) simply a case of the mote and beam problem, or am i missing something here?

2 comments:

Heather the Mama Duk said...

No, I think you hit the nail on the head.

The Margin Wight said...

I see it as a Zion-Babylon continuum. If Zion is the pure in heart, let Babylon be the not pure in heart. We can find examples of each and every variation in between wherever we look, in the church, in the world.