Tuesday, October 7, 2008

General Conference review

So looking back on General Conference, i have to say that there were a number of moments that were worth keeping stored in my brain (chief among them for me: David A. Bednar giving the most complete and yet most succinct definition of the mysteries of God that i’ve ever heard), but there was really only one thing that sums up the memory of watching the entire ten hours of general sessions:

Dang, but we’re a buncha white folks!

I mean, there weren’t even enough visible minorities* in the choir for the camera people to perform their gratuitous zoom-in-on-the-one-person-of-color-in-the-crowd shots we’d all gotten so used to in previous conferences.**

*Many thanks to Statistics Canada for providing me with a most useful, though not uncontroversial, term.
**Not that i lament its passing. I mean, it got to be almost embarrassing, the way it looked like a desperate attempt to say “No, really—we are diverse! See?”

2 comments:

Heather the Mama Duk said...

Ever been to UT*? They're pretty darn white. Here, not so much. We've actually got quite a few non-white members and a few mixed-race families. But that's because of where we live.

And I totally agree that the zoom in on the non-white person was just silly.

*Yes, I realize you lived there.**

**Just wanted to employ your nifty *s and make my own footnotes.

Matsby said...

Great summary. I completely agree.