Sunday, September 21, 2008

Pointless Sundays

Later today in my ward we have what is either my least or second-least favorite day on the Mormon liturgical calendar: the Primary program.

I mean, what is the actual point of this annual exercise? From what i understand, Mormons are commanded to ”meet together oft” (that’s a scriptural text, making Mormons one of the very few religious groups required to attend church meetings by canon) so that we can instruct one another in the mysteries of God. Well, unless one of the mysteries of God is that small children mumble (or, occasionally, shout painfully loudly) when they deliver lines that grown-ups have written for them, then the Primary program isn’t really serving any discernible religious purpose I can see.

(And no, before anybody says it, it is not cute to watch my own or anybody else’s children mumble incoherently in front of a sacrament meeting crowd. If you think it is, then sorry, but you need a good taste transplant.)

3 comments:

Heather the Mama Duk said...

Well, the sunbeams are cute. I think around CTR 6 it ceases to be cute. I think the whole point is so parents can see what the kids have learned and so the kids start getting used to performing in Sacrament meeting. But, yeah. Not my favorite Sunday.

Kelsey Carreon said...

I have to agree... if I want to know what my kids are learning I will ask them I don't need to listen to everyone else's kids to get the point. I don't mind the short singing on mother's day or father's day but an entire sacrament meeting.... Good Godfrey!!! Even my 4 year old can't stand it.

Lisa said...

hahaha, I don't mind this Sunday so much. This is why:

My five year old has in the past two years given the MEANEST face in the world when she's sitting up there. Her face scrunches up until she manages to stand behind the pulpit and have the primary presidency say her lines for her. Then the scrunching loosens.

She's hilarious.

My four year old son makes faces at us and flirts with the girl standing next to him.

It's much more entertaining than yet another bout of "why we should pay our tithing"